- In Greek mythology, Aether was the personification of the "upper sky," space and heaven.
- In philosophy and alchemy, aether is the classical fifth element or quintessence.
- In physics, the luminiferous aether was once considered to be the medium through which light propagates.
- Sometimes spelled Aethyr, the term as encountered in magic usually refers to one of the Enochian worlds, or Aires. Many Wiccans and magicians also employ this spelling to refer to the fifth element of spirit.
- Adapted from: Wikipedia. (2005). Aether (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aether). Retrieved on December 27, 2005.