Stewards are Thelemapedians who have "administrator" rights. Their primary responsibility is to care for the welfare and integrity of the site. Editorially, they have no more authority than any other site member, and are equally bound to Thelemapedia editorial policies. At the same time, they do have special security privileges which they use to enforce policy when necessary. For example, they have the ability to protect and delete pages, block and ban users, and delete obvious vandalism. More than that, they are available for dispute mediation and as a source of assistance, essentially providing guidance and leadership within the Thelemapedia community.
Stewards are expected to be familiar with Thelemapedia policies and guidelines. They should be courteous, and should exercise good judgment and patience in dealing with others. The central concern of a Steward should be the welfare of the site. Moreover, Stewards are expected to help expand the site, both in terms of adding new materials and in extending its profile within the greater Thelemic community. Here is a detailed list of Steward duties:
- Mediate content disputes
- Protect pages from editing when necessary (this is rare)
- Block or ban users who consistantly disregard Thelemapedia guidelines or vandalize the site
- Help refine and enforce site policies
- Help keep Thelemapedia within its intended scope
- Try to see that copyrights are protected
- Promote the site
- Encourage people to join as editors
- Help new users with the site
- Expand the site with new materials
Stewards have certain security-based priviledges to help them fulfill their duties. These include:
- Protect and unprotect pages. Pages are only protected in certain rare circumstances.
- Delete (and undelete) pages and their history. This is also a rare event. Sometimes deletion is a technical matter, in which a redirection page has to be removed to make way for renaming an article, or a page whose history has been broken up has to be deleted and the pieces recombined. Other times it's a matter of cleaning up simple junk edits on pages with no actual content, or removing material that has been pasted in from another site and infringes copyright.
- Reversion. Stewards have a faster, automated reversion tool to help them revert vandalism or edits that clearly violate site policy.
- Block and unblock. Block and unblock IP addresses, IP ranges, and user accounts, for a specific time, or indefinitely.
Becoming a Steward
Stewardship is granted to trusted members of the community who are familiar with Thelemapedia policies and have a substantial history of contributing to the site. They should be able to discuss issues without becoming personal. Even in the face of abuse and irrationality, a Steward should show patience and a willingness to listen and compromise. Finally, a Steward must be willing to do admin chores, such as making good wiki links, correcting errors, improving the category system, and maintaining the integrity of the various sections.
Applying for Stewardship
Removal of Stewards
Stewards may have their privileges temporarily suspended by the agreement of any two other stewards. The Scarlet Woman Lodge Master, or his appointed delegate, reviews any suspensions and makes a decision to:
- remove the steward,
- restore the steward, or
- establish conditions for restoration of the steward